Suitcase packed? Check. Itinerary booked? Check. Wait a minute. Before boarding that plane, could there be something that’s missing? Yep. The house needs a little more security before going on vacation!
For most countries in the West, July and August are the most popular months to escape to a magical paradise halfway across the world.
Interestingly, these are also the months that home burglaries tend to go through the roof! Hmm, could there be a connection between the two?
For anyone looking to enjoy a worry-free vacation, the first thing they need to do is secure their home. Here’s a couple of measures to cross off your security checklist before sipping margaritas in Honolulu shortly!
Interior of the House
The first place one’s got to start is the inside of the house. So here are a few things to countercheck;
- Setting timers for lights- This goes a long way in deterring burglars that have already made it past the fence. With lights periodically (let’s say after every 2-3 hours) going on and off, it gives the perception that someone is in the house.
- Avert power surges- No one can ever know when a power surge is bound to occur. That being said, it’s wise to always disconnect electronics in the house. That includes the computer. Electronics, TV, and stereo. Alternatively, these devices can be plugged into a surge protector to ensure their safety. In terms of wireless technology, ensure to remove any materials that could cause disturbance with the signal.
- Keep travel details on a public down-low- Isn’t it great to let friends and family see the amazing marine wildlife that the New Zealand offshore has to offer? Well, sharing the experience on social media platforms is great and everything, but keep in mind that it’s not only your close circles that are watching. There could be strangers just putting the dots together, and realizing that the house has been left unattended!
- Give the alarm company a heads up– If one is leaving for a vacation for a certain period of time, then they should immediately alert their security company of the impending situation. This way, the company can cross-check that the alarm system is working perfectly, and that the house has been secured.
- Last but not least, double-check to ensure all doors and windows have been locked. Don’t make it easy for the burglar to take those prized possessions!
- Have a wireless doorbell system- In fact, wireless doorbell systems today can be used as extra security especially if homeowners have gone for vacation. Thanks to integrated video recording features put in place in high-end wireless doorbells, they can serve as extra security to let homeowners know who paid them a visit while they were relaxing in a tropical paradise. All they have to do is access the recorded video via cloud storage! That being said, if one plans to add a wireless doorbell for extra security, they should first check wireless doorbell reviews before purchasing them!
Exterior of the house
Moving onto the exterior, what does one need to cross off the checklist? Here are a couple of things to consider;
- Organize for lawn attendance- An unattended lawn can be quite conspicuous especially in a posh neighborhood. In fact, it can result in unwanted attention from burglars looking to make a quick buck in the black market. That being said, it’s smart to always request the neighbor to trim the hedges a little. Or maybe do a bit of lawn mowing while they’re at it? This certainly gives the vibe that someone is still at home. P.S. Ensure to return the favor next time!
- Have some exterior lighting- Nothing deter burglars more than triggering off security lights to illuminate them in the dark. So ensure these are part of the security arsenal!